Thursday 31 May 2012

Australia Day 2 – Thursday 31st May

I had the best eight hours sleep on a plane that I have ever had! Didn’t hear a thing, so either Paul didn’t get any sleep or the round seats have been ergonomically designed to keep all the snoring noises contained. Or, of course, I could I have gone to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and I was the one keeping everyone else awake! Probably the latter! Paul did say that he had three hours sleep in one go, which is good for him, so I suppose he might want to go first class again! The flight time is just over twelve hours, but it has gone so quickly.




After putting on my comfy slippers, the complimentary wash bag came into its own. Toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, lip balm, eye gel, face cream, hand and body cream – I used it all! Then I looked in the mirror – and realised that I hadn’t bought a comb – or makeup. Oh well – holiday mode. Hair does look a bit of a mess though. I am in first class – so my request to the steward was matched with a comb all wrapped up in cellophane. Love it! Perhaps I should have forgotten my Radley handbag? You never know!



Breakfast was again served on a lovely crisp white tablecloth – but I was still fairly full from last night, so just had a cappochino and blackcurrant yoghurt. Or I could pretend that I am sticking to my diet! Paul was now hungry, so had the full English and promptly squished his tomato all over the lovely white tablecloth! Can’t take him anywhere. He was quite proud that it missed his shirt though!



We were now heading into Singapore to end the first leg of the trip. We were due in ahead of schedule, and had a lovely cruise in over beautiful lush countryside. Even though we are continuing on the same plane, we had to take everything off as it is a complete change of crew and the cleaners need to get in. I think I might just put those slippers in my bag!



We have around two hours in Singapore, so head for the first class lounge. We are greeted with a “Good Evening” – I answer “Good Morning”. Hmm, think I might be getting a bit confused. We have put the watches forward seven hours, so it is now 5:00pm, even though I have just had breakfast. It is really busy in here, and the internet is as slow as slow. Surprising, as Singapore is known as a really computer literate country. But, as Paul points out, it is probably because there are a hundred or so people in here all trying to connect on the same stream. Good coffee though! By the time we had uploaded the first day’s blog, the time we had here had nearly gone. We walked the long way back to the gate (it is a huge airport, with lots of free internet spots, free charging for phones and other electrical items, and lots of space and seats and shopping. I am thinking this is going to be a good spot to get the presents on the way home if we haven’t managed it anywhere else along the way. Not that we usually end up getting everything at the airport of course! There is even a garden with trees and plants in. Truly beautiful.



We make our way back to the gate, and board the same plane again. More champagne as we sit down – how many times do we have to have this before it gets normal? I really mustn’t get used to it! There are a few people that have joined the plane again as well as us. One couple live half in Australia and half in the UK, and have just come back from a voyage on the Queen Mary to New York. They are very interested in our journey on the Orion, as they have seen it advertised in Australia and have often thought about joining it. The departure time from here is 19:55 and just over seven hours to get to Sydney. Time for another three, four, or even five, course meal. The body clock is telling me it is lunch, so no problem putting that away then!



So, the menu is a pre starter of gravadlax salmon, crab bisque, Caesar salad, beef stroganoff and brioche bread and butter pudding with vanilla ice cream or vanilla custard – or both! Hmm, how did I manage all of that then? My bed is made up again, and perhaps my body now thinks it is going for an afternoon nap. Not a problem if it gets me to Australia with my body clock and the local time synchronised!

No comments:

Post a Comment