Wednesday 3 February 2010

AUSTRALIA By Bridget Keevil


In March 2009 I embarked on a tour of Australia, meeting my daughter who was already over there. It was a hastily arranged tour – just the week before I departed – so there is no reason why anyone would think they have left things too late if they decide to go! My itinerary was Perth, Ayers Rock, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. I had given myself a month to do this, with no stopovers in either direction. I had tried to work out what I wanted to do in each location, so as to maximise the time I had. Although four weeks sounds a long time, there is so much to see and do, it is essential you know what are your “must-do’s” before picking a number of nights out of a hat.

I hired a car in Perth, and drove down to Cape Leeuwin and then back up to Perth over four days. It was beautiful countryside, and very easy to drive, being right hand drive as we are. Perth is a super city, well worth a visit, and the gateway to amazing self drives or tours, both north and south.

From here, we flew to Ayers Rock – a place which is on many people’s list! And it did not disappoint. Amazing. We also took in Kings Canyon and Alice Springs, but this will depend on the time you have for your whole holiday and what else you need to do.

Adelaide and Melbourne are both cities that are worth visiting, and very different from each other. The choice of tours and excursions from here are vast, with some fabulous wildlife experiences such as Philip Island Fairy Penguins from Melbourne.

Sydney is a city that I will never tire of. Its vibrancy and atmosphere are unlike any I have experienced. There is so much to see and do, so many restaurants to eat al fresco, and so many adventures to experience. A month here would not be too long!

The last flight within Australia was to Brisbane – all internal flights were with Qantas, all were on time, all were comfortable and had good service. Another city, and another different experience. All very worth the time, and all very different from the last.

Click on the photo to see my other pictures.
For our other blogs scroll down or use the archive on the right.
Contact us via www.travel-stop.co.uk for experienced travel advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment