Friday 8 June 2012

Australia Day 10 – Friday 8th June


We had an early morning call at 5.50am this morning – it is getting worse! We were due in the zodiacs this morning a 6.30am – but a full breakfast was waiting for us on deck if we needed it. Not enough time – although some did. We are going to climb the King George Falls this morning. It is a fairly hard climb – 80 metres up, in about 160 metres, so one to one. We had to choose yesterday whether we wanted to do the hike to the falls, and surprisingly 32 of the guests had signed up for this mornings hike. I honestly thought that it would have a maximum of around ten guests. But, so I thought, at least I wouldn’t be the slowest!




The zodiac journey over the falls was about an hour. We saw an osprey high up on the top of the rocks, and a heron on the side near the bank. As we moved into the mouth of the river, the gorge soared high above us on both sides. The sun was shining down on the sandstone, and made it look alive. When the six boats got to the end of the river, there were two dead end gorges, each having a waterfall flowing from top to bottom. There was another ship, the True North, that had passed us along the way and was already at the falls. This is a very sleek yacht with a helicopter on the back. The zodiacs pulled up at what looked like a load of rubble, and we all got off. Oh my god! As I looked up, I could see that it was as hard as they had made out. Rather by luck than judgement, Lubo, the Chief Engineer, was in our zodiac. He hopped out, and was with me all the way with that magnificent grip pulling me from one rock to another. Paul was helping also – and yes, you have guessed it – I was the slowest one. There was one gentleman of 78 years old that was at the top before me! It was single file, and no overtaking, but I don’t think that would have made any difference. If I hadn’t had help, and lots of it, I would have really struggled to get to the top. Some of the boulders were four feet tall – some sturdy, some wobbly, some smooth, some sharp. I was very glad when I reached the top. Until I realised that I had to get down again. Oh well, enjoy the view in the meantime. No point worrying about that until it is imminent!



The flat plateau at the top was filled with little rivers and waterfalls and water holes for swimming. It was delightful. We walked all along one side, and crossed the top where the rivers come to meet at the waterfall. I don’t know where all the water was coming from that was gushing down the side of the gorge – there was no fast flowing river up here, only a gentle stream. We walked along the edge, and could look back at the waterfalls – Mick had climbed down about twenty feet and was taking pictures from a very weird angle. There was a beautiful rainbow in the spray of the water – I bet he knows that that is the best spot to get the full colours of the rainbow. Mine will look very wishy washy – I expect to see a full rainbow in glorious technicolor in the photo recap of the day tonight!



We had around an hour and a half up there – Paul went for a swim in the water hole, but I had not brought my swimming things, so just sat on a rock and surveyed the whole area. Beautiful. The helicopter from “True North” came and landed a couple of times bringing people from the boat to the top of the falls. Bet it doesn’t make them as grateful to be there getting a lift like that! We had a group photograph taken at the top – I will sit and study that when I get home – and it will hopefully encourage me to lose weight and go to the gym when I look at all the old people that showed me up!



Now I need to worry – time to go back down! Going down, we were ably informed, is much harder than going up. Great. Is that helicopter still there? Do you think they take American Express? No – swallow hard and onwards. A great guy called John led the way of our party – he was very good at finding a good route down. Paul followed, and helped balance me no end – Max was behind, so between them I should be safe! I apologised to all the older people I was holding up – but none of them seemed to mind. What lovely people! It took longer getting down that going up – and it was really hard on the knees. I used my bottom a great deal! Boy, was I glad when the river level was the same level as me. Safe and sound – no slips, no cuts, no bruises. Easy peasy!



We got back in the zodiacs, hot sweaty and tired. We turned in the direction of the falls to go and get a better look. In a hidden corner just by the falls was the Orion flag and umbrella on a zodiac – serving Mimosas and ham and cheese croissants. How do they get it so right? It was perfect. The champagne flowed – it felt rather surreal drinking and eating in a zodiac underneath a waterfall. A couple of tenders from another boat, the “Discovery One” came over and started taking photographs. Their tour obviously doesn’t have the “extras”! They did look rather envious.



“OK” said Mick in the next zodiac. “Pass everything over here that you don’t want to get wet – you’re going under the falls!”. Hmm – camera bag went over, as did the life jackets. Why are we sending the life jackets over, I thought. Then I remembered that they were the sort that self inflated when they got wet. Perhaps we were going to get a little more than a spray? Better take shoes and socks off then. Paul took off his tee shirt – but as I had only got normal clothes with me, they all had to stay on. I did pass over my hat and sunglasses, just to be on the safe side. And I am glad I did. We passed not behind the falls, not just in front of the falls, but right underneath them. The force of the water on my head was like a quadruple power shower. Then we backed out – phew. No – let’s go back in again shall we? No choice. In we went again. My god – did I sign up for this? Thank god I sent as much as I did in the other boat – it would have been swimming in this one. There was about four inches of water in the bottom of the boat. We weren’t special – all of the boats got the same treatment. Some more than others. Mick was a little sadistic with his lot – they went under about four times! Oh well, I have seen the falls from all angles now.



We set off back to the ship after that, and it didn’t take long for the top half to dry off. The shorts and underwear were ringing wet all the way home. Not sure where all the water in the boat went though – after we set off it all disappeared. Perhaps there is some sort of one way valve that lets water out but not back in? Whatever, we didn’t sink. Thankfully! We saw a cormorant on the way home that had dived into the water for it’s lunch and now sat on a rock. It apparently cannot fly when it has wet wings, so has to wait for them to dry off before it can go anywhere. Hope there’s not a crocodile round the corner!



The wind had got up a bit then, and the way back was a bit choppy. Not a real problem though – it had been an exhilarating morning. And lunch was in full swing when we got back. Just needed to get out of those wet clothes though! I was even thanked when I got back on board for leading a very slow and safe procession from the top to the bottom – at least they weren’t cross!



An afternoon of leisure – what a treat. A sunbed and a kindle, and I am only on my second book. What on earth is going on?? Tonight there was an Aussie barbeque on deck – a whole suckling pig, huge prawns on skewers, barramundi, veal etc etc. The wind had got up, so the boat was pitching a bit, but after a few glasses of wine I don’t think anyone noticed. We then had a rendition of “Waltzing Matilda” by the Manila Male Voice Choir – aka the restaurant waiters. Surreal!

No comments:

Post a Comment