Saturday 16 June 2012

Australia Day 18 – Saturday 16th June



Early morning call at 5.00am this morning, as our flight leaves at 06.55am. What sort of a travel agent books a flight at that time of the morning? Unfortunately, that is the only Qantas flight between Darwin and Cairns, so that is what it had to be. Paul had been a star, and got up to get the washing out of the tumble drier that was still going when we went to bed – I had visions of having to take wet washing with us. At some point the tumble drier wasn’t giving out any hot air, but Paul fixed it. Glad I brought him with me now! It was going to be a squeeze getting all the luggage in the weight limit dry, let alone wet.




I think I have sussed it out now – pack as many heavy things in the little carry on case as you can. They never weigh it, although it states that the maximum hand luggage is 7kg. I probably will get caught, but until I do, the heavy stuff is going in the hand luggage. Good little purchase I think. The taxi arrived at 5.30am, right on time. I did wonder if it would turn up, but give the Medina their due, they had booked and paid for it. It took around twenty minutes to get to the airport – there was hardly any traffic on the roads at that time of the morning. We checked in with no weight problems (hurrah!) and the flight took off on time. The food was absolutely typical airline food – pretty awful. Although we did have poached eggs, and they were cooked to perfection – apart from they were cold. The roll that was served could have easily paved my drive. I broke it in half, and it was hard as a rock all the way through. I thought I would complain, but Paul told me not to bother. I did, the stewardess apologised, and brought me a fresh hot one that was absolutely delicious. It does pay to complain sometimes.



We actually landed fifteen minutes early, and it was smooth getting the luggage. We had a shuttle bus to take us to Mossman and Silky Oaks – and there was someone there with our name on to show us to the bus. This trip is going far too smoothly. The trip was just under two hours, as we had to drop off in Palm Cove and Port Douglas. Quite nice driving through those to have a look. Both places had lots of hotels and people though – I have been getting used to being out in the middle of nowhere.



We arrived at Silky Oaks, and the driver said “I hope you like not having lots of people around” – perfect! We were shown to our River House, which was beautiful. A hammock swinging on the balcony, overlooking a stream somewhere below all the tree canopy. The doors can be left open all night so you can hear the water and the nature – there is a screen that can be pulled out to keep the bugs away. I shall wait to hear for that herd of buffalo to go through first thing in the morning! We were given a list of the hiking trails and guided walks that we can take. Not sure how we are going to fit all of them in.



We had lunch in the Treehouse Restaurant – the only restaurant here. It is all open and overlooks the stream. Stunning! The prices reflect the view though! But the food was good, the service was good, and we are only here a few days. Paul then crashed out for a couple of hours (tumble drier duties catching up with him) so I went by the pool. It is a very natural pool, with very comfy loungers. Unfortunately, the bugs liked laying by the pool as well, and I felt there wasn’t room for both of us. When a couple of bush turkeys came in as well, it was time to go. I went and tried the hammock out – very nice. There was insect coils in the room to light when you were on the balcony to keep the bugs away. I think they did half a job. Hard to avoid them with all the rainforest around.



We then decided to do part of one of the hikes. It was very much like the Annapurna trail, only five minutes from the back of the resort. The little wooden bridges over streams and tree roots covering the paths were so similar. Some of the uphill paths brought back memories as well!

This holiday has been too much eating and not enough doing – my muscles have gone into hibernation. We hiked for about an hour down to Melaluca Island – not really an island, more a heap of stones in the middle of the river. We climbed over to it, and found loads of green ants on the trees. I think I will wait for dinner rather than partaking! It was beautiful, but the light was beginning to go, and I didn’t really want to get stuck in the rainforest in the dark so we started back. We went past the “Beach Billabong” – a sandy area where you can swim quite safely. I thought they had crocodiles around here, but apparently not there. There was a table and chair, but no waiter service! I am used to having my campari brought to me at the most unusual places – what has happened? On the way back we found a pair of sunglasses on a tree – the things they can grow out here are amazing! They weren’t Oakleys, so decided to wait until we came past an Oakley tree before picking them!



Dinner was in the Treehouse Restaurant again – the canopy below was all lit up, and with the noise of the rushing water was just magical. Paul had a crocodile cheesecake for starters – bit like a quiche, couldn’t taste the crocodile at all. Not that he knew what crocodile tasted like. They brought out a whole row of patio heaters as the restaurant was open to the elements – the receptionist had said that they were going through a cold snap. I must admit, it was a bit chilly. Maybe I am just getting used to this warmer weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment